Hurricane or Wind Damage Claim

Are You Experiencing Hurricane or Wind Damage?

If your property or home is damaged by hurricane or wind damage you are like many millions of Floridians. Wind damage insurance claims are one of the most common claims in Florida.

Wind damage events due to tropical storm force winds and a storm surge are a common occurrence that can damage your property in various ways.  Hurricane winds, torrential rains, tropical cyclones, and topical storms can cause a great deal of damage to your home or property.

To maximize your settlement from an insurance company, it is important to understand your insurance policy, the coverages you have, and the types of damage these events can cause.

Before placing a hurricane claim or wind damage claim, make sure you have done your homework.  Insurance companies will send their adjuster loaded with questions.  Being prepared is critical to successfully receiving the largest compensation payout for your claim.

Signs of Hurricane or Wind Damage?

Type of Wind Damage

Categorized as winds above 74mph, the Sunshine State is no stranger to hurricanes and the damage they can cause. Though New Orleans was drastically reshaped due to Hurricane Katrina, Florida has also experienced its own catastrophic storms, including Hurricane Ivan and Hurricane Dorian. With the increase in temperatures, these much more frequent tropical storm force winds cause damage to roofs, windows, doors, and siding allowing water to enter the home and cause a variety of damage. If your property has been damaged due to a storm surge, you should have it inspected. While your policy entitles you to report damage up to two years later, it’s best to not wait. Your claim will be the strongest when it is reported in a timely manner.

A tropical storm is a low-pressure system that forms over tropical waters, causing a storm tide. The wind speeds are less than a tropical storm but strong enough to cause damage. These storms are often accompanied by heavy rains, winds, and thunderstorms. Tropical storms can be responsible for flash flooding, intense winds, a storm surge, causing a great deal of damage to homes and businesses. If you have been affected by a tropical storm, it’s important to have your property inspected to identify any damage that might have occurred.

Much like hurricanes and tropical storms, Florida properties experience small-scale wind storms frequently. While they might not get the attention of stronger storms, winds greater than an average gust can cause the same damage. If your property shows signs of damage, a public insurance adjuster can investigate whether a claim is possible.

Tornadoes are a separate type of event that can cause damage to a property or home. The insurance claim process for tornado damage is similar to hurricane or windstorm damage, but there may be some specific considerations to keep in mind. For example, if you have a tornado deductible on your policy, you must pay that amount out of pocket before the insurer will reimburse you for any further damage.

Tornadoes can cause a wide range of damage to a home, including roof damage, flooding, window and door damage, and damage to the home’s structure. They can also cause extensive damage to outdoor items such as sheds, garages, and fences.

Is Hurricane or Wind Damage Covered by My Insurance Company?

Get Compensated For:

Roof Repair
Screeen Enclosures
Trees & Landscaping
Garage Doors
Interior water leaks

Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Insurance?

A public adjuster can help you determine if your property has been damaged by wind or a storm surge and what might be covered.  A complete inspection of the property, its repairs and claim history, and a review of the policy are necessary to identify and build a strong case for a wind or tropical cyclone damage claim.

Wind damage and hurricane damage claims often require experts and competency in Florida insurance statutes and county building codes.  A public insurance adjuster can bring on the proper team to document and build a strong claim for payment.  If experts in severe storms, weather, engineering, or general contracting are needed to construct the claim, working with those experts can often mean the difference between a successful and bad claim.
If you have been affected by tropical cyclones, a hurricane, or a windstorm, contact a public adjuster to help you with your insurance claim. They will work to get you the best possible settlement so that you can repair or rebuild your home.

Common Questions About Tropical Storms, Torrential Rains, and Your Insurance Claim

Often it can take months or even a year for water to work through the layers of your roof and show up inside the property. Getting an inspection of your roof and interior can help determine what damages the insurance company is responsible to compensate you for.

An insurance company is required by Florida law to investigate and respond to your wind damage or hurricane damage claim within 90 days. Responding to the claim simply means they have to confirm whether or not they agree to cover the claim and release an initial payment. Wind damage and hurricane damage claims often take some time to maximize the settlement. Working with a public insurance adjuster will increase your chances of a speedy resolution.

If your property is inspected first by a public insurance adjuster, the chances of a successful claim are very good. Having a skilled and experienced adjuster who has inspected your property and determined you have a good claim increases your chances significantly. Your chances also increase if the claim was reported soon after the wind event and if you have documented any of the damages.

Yes, a property owner can file a hurricane or wind damage claim without a public insurance adjuster. However, public insurance adjusters are experts in the claims process and can help property owners maximize their settlements. They can help gather evidence of damage due to tropical cyclones, negotiate with the insurance company, and ensure that the claim is processed correctly. For this reason, many property owners choose to work with a public insurance adjuster when filing a hurricane or wind damage claim.

If your insurance company has denied your claim, a public adjuster can help. Public adjusters are professionals who work on behalf of homeowners to negotiate with insurance companies and get the best settlement possible.

If you feel that your insurance company has underpaid your hurricane or wind damage claim, there are several things you can do. You can appeal the decision, file a complaint with the state insurance department, or work with a public adjuster to help you negotiate a better settlement. A free review of your claim by a public insurance adjuster will tell you a lot about the opportunity.

A tropical storm can cause a great deal of damage to a property. Some of the most common types of damage include roof damage, water damage, and wind damage.

If your home is damaged by a tropical storm, you will likely need to file an insurance claim. Homeowner’s insurance policies typically cover damage from these types of events, but there are some important things to know about the claims process. Contacting a public insurance Adjuster to inspect your home, review your policy, and inform you of your likelihood of success is always a good idea.

Educate yourself first with a free consultation